Applications invited to join BWFCC Board of Governance
One position available
Closing date 5 August 2020
Bubup Womindjeka Family and Children’s Centre is a not for profit, community run organisation providing integrated services to the Port Melbourne community.
Our family focus and inclusive community support the development of engaged, capable and confident young learners. In addition to our core services of the Early Years Program (long day care and kindergarten) and sessional kindergarten programs, we offer:
• Parent led, educator supported playgroups
• Children’s clothes exchange
• Emergency pantry
• Parent education sessions
• On site consultations with star health child development team
• Maternal and child health (provided by City of Port Philip)
• Privately-operated French language kindergarten.
In 2020 189 children are enrolled in the EYP, 82 in sessional kindergarten, 17 playgroups run each week with 197 children from 159 families participating. Bubup Womindjeka Family and Children’s Centre (BWFCC) has 61 paid staff and five volunteers with a budgeted turnover of $4.7m for 2020.
The Board of Governance is appointed and aims to be skill-based. We are seeking a board member with knowledge and leadership experience in the education sector, preferably early childhood education and care (ECEC), including:
• Early years educational theory and practice
• Quality standards and assessments
• Developing/implementing/interpreting/advocating for ECEC policy and funding.
• Enthusiasm for BWFCC’s vision and commitment to our values
• Time to be an active board member (Board meets monthly, each board member is on at least one board committee, other work between meetings)
• A strong interest in supporting centre governance to enable effective operations
• Good organisational and communication skills
• Ability to develop good working relationships with the EO and Centre Leadership Team.
Board members are required to have a Working with Children Check and police check.
The ideal candidate has an early childhood education qualification, experience in education and care and/or integrated service planning and delivery, not-for-profit leadership and/or board governance and is willing use their skills to contribute to strategic thinking and service development and advise on best practice and risk mitigation.
The Board meets monthly, currently the third Monday of the month from 5.30 -7.30pm, or later, depending on business. The Board is supported by Leadership Liaison, Finance, People and Culture, Governance and Appointments, Risk and Consultative committees. A Board Manual and short induction process helps new Board members gain an understanding of the organisation, our business and governance responsibilities.
To find out more about BWFCC, joining the Board and board responsibilities and duties please contact:
Governance and Appointments Committee: Susanne Provis or Tifelle Reisinger
Board President: Troy Hoggan
We welcome applications from suitably qualified and experienced people. The application should include a Curriculum Vitae (2 pages maximum) and a cover letter that briefly outlines why you want to join the BWFCC Board, your alignment BWFCC values and the skills and perspectives you can contribute to board work. Please address the application to Susanne Provis, Convenor, Governance and Appointments Committee Application and send to firstname.lastname@example.org